Sunday, January 4, 2009

so memory is insular

I just sort of got that memory is insular and inward
and if you push out you get into space and that’s usually scary and cold
and more silent than anyone,
even bats, can imagine.
I’ve also been wondering why animals don’t get sick that often
or why there aren’t really skinny elephants. I don’t know why I think about this
but can you really picture a herd of very skinny elephants
pummeling through the jungle after your
heart, they are so desperate?I think (yes, I do) that animals have a better system than France
at problem management. For instance, what am I doing right now?
I have to exert energy, creativity, and syllables to tell you. Isn’t that crazy!
A zebra only has to look into another’s zebra’s eyes to know
what it wants or why it is not interested in touching
its striped body anymore.
I am only just now going more outward with things.
What I mean is before now I was concerned with re-painting
the hill in my backyard and my assorted days.
But now I see that the universe is pretty
and caustic and wrong sometimes.
instead of painting over it
I want to go into it
and that might mean I’m a special person
but no one is sure.

1 comment:

bmirov said...

1.) So much idiosyncratic goodness in this poem I want to weep.

2.) I feel strongly that the poem should begin:

If you push out you get into space...

3.) The following lines up until "your heart" are so wonderful/funny/open, I must contend with the use of "your heart". There is nothing wrong with a heart, hearts are beautiful organs, but within the given context I feel "your heart" is a abstraction, which deflates a wonderful moment in the poem by attempting to add an extraneous level of gravitas, as if an elephant chasing one's heart could somehow be more dramatic than an elephant chasing one's corporeal person through the jungle. No, I say!

4.) animals have a better system then France of problem management

(! This is surely true, however, consider:

animals have a better system of problem management than France)

5.) this line is totally the best and something only you could get away with:

I have to exert energy, creativity, and syllables to tell you. Isn’t that crazy!

6.) I would end with:

and caustic and wrong sometimes.

or with

instead of painting over it
I want to go into it.