Monday, December 15, 2008

No Title Yet... Suggestions?

My father's spectacles were huge. They got in the way of everything. It was
embarrassing. As a child he would walk with me to the grocer. No one
passing on the street would look at us. That's how I learned about the heartrending
kindness of strangers. I couldn't bear to think about it. I would spend nights blindfolded,
walking through our family's pigeon coop, caressing the feathers of cooing birds.
When I turned fifteen, in the midst of the inferno called puberty, I left home.
I had the feeling, that love, electric yellow love, was my one and only destiny. I stowed
myself away on a boat called the Corona for no other reason than its name.
I slept for many days and nights, how many I could not tell, I was below deck.
I had procured a book on botany from my father's library, which I spent most of my time
pouring over. Wherever the good ship Corona landed, I was sure I'd have to know
what a calyx was, and how to speak elegantly on the topic of pollination. Love is simple,
I thought to myself each night before I fell to sleep. It seemed like months before
we finally struck land. With a soft thud, the Corona ended its journey, and I,
unbeknownst to its hardy crew, crept away into the night. Our port of call
had a familiar feeling. Empty, darkened shops, a few oil drums blazing in the night.
But all harbors feel like other harbors, I thought as I walked up a long winding road
to a house with a narrow, red door. I slipped my hand behind the lantern
and removed the skeleton key. My palms were sweaty. I could barely maneuver the key.
The door opened, revealing the interior of my home. Silhouetted in the doorway
was my father, mustache twitching, spectacles flashing in the flickering light.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, I love this. Love is a strong word? "Yellow electric love" and funny things like "Corona" the "hardy crew" make it lovable. Stiff uncomfortable moments like "I could barely maneuver the key" cause intense sympathy and goodness.

I notice a real character emerging in your latest poems. Some suffering and some joy, real joy, in the craft of writing them.

mm.

Alina Gregorian said...

And I Alone Have Escaped To Tell You



I really like this poem. I think it's grand. The line above is a suggestion for a title. It's a line from the book of Job, as I feel this poem is monumental and evokes the purest feelings, much like a fable.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a really good suggestion, alina. Ben, what do you think?

Unknown said...

I love it. Hence forth this poem shall be known as And I Alone Have Escaped to Tell You. Thnx, A, M.

Greg Santos said...

I love the new title, B. I'm a fan of love, electric yellow love, too.

The use of details (family's pigeon coop, the good ship Corona, a book on botany) mixed with abstract ideas (Love is simple, the heartrending kindess of strangers) push it to the point of perfection.

Great stuff!

G

L train said...

I saw this late and forgot you already got a titulo, but if you're still open to suggestions I think "My Father's Spectacles" could be a title.

I like mm's comment about stiff moments. No pun intended I'm sure.

All good stuff.